Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Whats on your workdesk Wednesday

I have not been around much lately, just busy with pressure at work, plus my assignments. I am also using a borrowed computer, so dont have as much internet time. My workdesk today is fairly neat, but not the surroundings! It features the cover for my LSNED, which is a little bit of a disaster. Also shows my brand new distress inks which I absolutely love. I used them to make the cover, applied the distress inks to acetate, spritzed it and then rubbed the card on. I did this until all the ink was used up. Once it was dry, stamped it with stazon and distress ink and then painted the whole thing with crackle paint. I got this idea from one of Tim Holtz's Christmas tag. It didn't work as much as I would have liked, but I know that is because I used too little, so will know for next time.At this stage things were still good, but now the disaster starts. The paper had rolled up, so I dutifully flattened it under a heavy box for 24 hours and then stuck it to the chipboard and stuck the title on. So far so good. I then realised that the cover was starting to lift off, so I used a bit more DST. No luck, still lifted up. I then used a toothpick to slide glue into the join and then held it together with the pegs you see on the desk. That worked well and I thought we were onto the home stretch. I stamped the flowers with Distress ink and a script stamp, brushed them with dimensional glaze to give a bit of a shine and glued them on. This is where the main disaster struck.
They wouldn't stick so I used Pritt Gel glue in copious amounts and stuck them down. As you can see the Pritt caused the flowers to change colour and the ink to smudge slightly, although on its own the smudging is not that noticeable as you can see in the top flower. Of course I have now stuck them down so well I am unable to get them off! Oh, well that will be my project for the next month lol! I hope the rest of the book is better!
Pop on over to Julia's blog for more workdesks.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Tracy
    lovely creative desk, happy playing,have great day, happy WOYWW, sue,x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just signed up to this class this afternoon, just waiting for the email to come through.

    Love your front cover.......better go and start mine!!

    A.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I knew how to help but I'd only use Tacky glue or Glossy Accents for the flowers if it were me - always works. Hope you can salvage it. Enjoy your class! Happy WOYWW! Cath x

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I use glossy accents too. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we all have these "disasters" every now and then... at least I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I got a chuckle out of the card title. Looks like your entire post should be titled that! You really were fraught with peril while making this card. However, if you didn't know (or maybe it's worse in person) about the bleeding, you would never see it. Happy WOYWW, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very creative desk, not at all untidy! Hey, you win some you lose some, after tonights efforts I have a half decent card that I don't know whether to keep or toss!

    Hugs
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I rather love the effects the smudging has caused :-)
    A x

    ReplyDelete
  9. i rather like the effect hun,honest looks,great,I use sometimes use a spay adhesive,but looks fine hun,hugs cheryl xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great desk, hope you like the course.

    Cathx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great to me, and a tidy desk, have a good woyww
    (Lyn)

    ReplyDelete